Some in the US may know that today is Canadians' equivalent of the 4th of July. I have some great memories of Canada Days past, especially ones spent in Ottawa during my university years. Sadly, I don't have the energy for that anymore!!! But we did have a small Fennell family Canada Day celebration. Greg came home from school a little early today so we could take advantage of the last hour of the afternoon before we had to start the dinner and bedtime routine for Kai (which starts pretty early for our little night owl who hits the hay around 6 pm most nights). We headed to Bedford Farms Ice Cream, which we learned as we waited in line for our ice cream, was founded in 1880! I was tempted by the Raspberry Chip - raspberry ice cream with chocolate cups filled with raspberry sauce. But, I fulfilled my patriotic duty and ordered a scoop of strawberry and a scoop of vanilla so as to have red and white ice cream! Greg, free of such obligations, ordered Almond Joy. It was a yummy mixture of vanilla ice cream, almonds and chocolate chips. Kai was decked out in his red and whites and he joined in the fun, smooshing his little face right into the ice cream cup (he is not always patient enough to wait to be served by a spoon). Then we headed home for a healthy dinner. I know, I know, dessert before dinner, we're not setting a good example for our little sweet toofer. I remember growing up we enjoyed the odd day of dessert before dinner and I still turned out okay, eh?
There were no fireworks in celebration of Canada around here tonight. We'll have to wait until Friday's 4th celebrations for that. But we did get our own little show as yet ANOTHER thunder storm rolled in around 8:30 tonight complete with nature's own fireworks and a 20 minute power outage. Having just unpacked most of our living room knick knacks, we were surrounded by candles but there was not a match to be found. Fortunately, Greg did remember where some flashlights were stashed so he was able to get back to studying.
Well I best finish this post just in case the power goes out again. Happy 141st Canada!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment