Friday, July 4, 2008

Another Amazing Ride

Although we woke to a gray and rainy 4th of July I headed out on my bike this morning while Kai and Daddy headed to Target to get some stuff to set up the TV (the Tour de France starts tomorrow so Greg is motivated!!!!). This was the first arm warmer and vest ride that I've done in quite some time. I even pocketed the plastic-sauna-jacket just in case; I've seen what kind of downpours New England can dish up in the last few weeks. I decided to leave the knees at home which was a bit of a mistake as I was chilly enough to eat soup and hot chocolate by the time I got home.

Today I took a modified version of my route two weeks ago and headed North (?) toward Carlisle and then West (?) toward Concord and Acton. (I never really know what direction I'm going here. I'm missing those give away landmarks like Diamond Head and the Ko'olaus!) Last week's ride was a bit of a gong show starting off with a flat tire, running into highway a few too many times and nearly getting hit by a female cyclist who decided to turn around and go back the way she came, on the same side of the road that she was riding on. Can you say head on collision???? My nimble mountain biking skills (ha ha) got me out of that one.

So, back to today's ride. It just got better and better (and wetter and wetter.....;-) My friend Ryan asked me to take some photos of the rides I'm doing here but I forgot my camera today. Probably best that I did b/c I would have been stopping every five feet. I think I found some of the prettiest roads in NE today. My entire ride was shaded by a canopy of trees. Almost all of the roads were lined with rambling stone walls. Although Eastern Mass is heavily settled, the homes are generally well spaced and beautifully kept and I rode past farms, small cottages, mcmansions, ivy walled private schools, horse pastures, organic farm stands and even some honour stands! Although they were empty today. I guess even honour stands get the 4th of July off. It appears that 8:30 am is an early start and I had the roads mostly to myself. Group rides around here seem to start at 10:00 am. I am still on Hawaii time I guess so that seems ridiculously late to me. But I'm sure I'll appreciate it come the fall when the sun needs time to burn the frost from the roads. The legs seem to be getting a little fitter as I wasn't in excruciating pain after only an hour but I didn't venture too far given the nasty weather and my chilly legs. A highlight of today's ride was a deer, nonchalantly munching grass as I rode by.

I really have been overwhelmed by the serene and civilized beauty of this place. It gives the air of man and nature living in harmony. Of course, we know this isn't true. Nature has all but been obliterated here. Although every town seems to have a conservation area, they are all small and I doubt you could ever really, seriously get lost in the woods here. But the effort has been made to "keep it green" and mankind has managed to make her dent here appear innocuous and almost invited. Bull rushes brush up against schools and homes in a way that almost seems meant to be. I have even heard a bullfrog in one of these such places! And to give credit where credit is due the consciousness here is definitely of the green kind. There are composting facilities in most towns and the recycling is curbside pick up and comprehensive.

Now we're off to celebrate the 4th although it won't be the poolside hang out that we had planned but more of a cozy, fireside get together perhaps. All I know is I can't wait to eat the yummy strawberry shortcake we bought from Whole Foods, my new favorite store! I hear crib railings shaking so that is my cue to get off the computer and get a certain someone up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome AWESOME!
i love hearing about the scenery and i too want to see PICS! i miss the beauty!! its sooo quaint! glad you are getting out and enjoying your surroundings. im enjoying your blogs!
happy 4th of july!
aloha
megan

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

Okay, Okay! It sounds REALLY beautiful. YOU ARE REALLY making Kelley and I want to move back to the mainland. We can only imagine bike rides of this sort. Thanks for sharing it is almost as if I was actually there except without the sort but. -Ryan