Monday, June 23, 2008

Thunderstorms

I have really missed two things about the Eastern part of North America while living away from it for 14 years - the fall colours and summer thunderstorms. Sure, you get T-storms out West and even occasionally in Hawaii, but not with the regularity of this part of the world. We have already had at least 5 since arriving about a month ago. 

Today we had a doozy. It thundered off and on all day but really let go around 4:30 pm just as Greg was cycling home after a hard day of schoolin'. Kai and I were in the playroom playing with his ball popper when the heavens opened and I knew Greg was in for a hard ride home. But he made it, a bit bedraggled, and with a smile on his face, especially when he knew we had the kettle on and waiting for him.  

It was muggy and rainy all day but Kai and I still attempted a hike in Bedford's "town forest." The trees created a nice canopy so we didn't get really wet (did nothing for the horse flies though! Something I did NOT miss!) It started thundering pretty loudly and I figured Kai would get scared and we'd have to head home. But it didn't seem to phase him at all. We didn't make it far though. It seemed that everything that was interesting to Kai caused him to walk in a haphazard circle near the trailhead. Every time I thought we were making progress down the trail, he remembered something of interest from whence we came and back we went. So, after about 15 minutes of walking in circles at a trailhead, in the rain, we called it a day and headed home.  

1 comment:

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

I love east coast thunderstorms! They're sooo exciting! Sounds like you have some cool stuff in your neighborhood. It's so fun to be able to keep up with your happenings through this blog. Hope all is well! Kel