Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Impressions of Bedford, Mass. Sorry still no photos

I thought I'd better hop back on here before I lose momentum and never come back. Since we moved into our new house life has been a cycle of wake up, keep Kai out of trouble, nap Kai and try to get something done, keep Kai out of trouble again (and keep him cool, the weather has been monstrous!), do Kai's evening routine (or share this with Greg if he is home), run, make and scarf some dinner, try to be productive with getting this house somewhat livable (minus furniture), and then fall asleep exhausted on our lovely air mattress! Fun, fun! 

But...I have had a chance to look around our new town a little bit so I thought I'd share my impressions so far......It's not too bad. 

Life has certainly looked up since we got to the house and away from the hotel right smack in the middle of freeways and shopping malls. We have chipmunks on our doorstep, strawberries growing in the backyard (which I am trying to grab before the bunnies get them!), and flowers in our yard. Can't complain. Bedford itself is pretty small and unassuming but I don't think we made a bad choice given the myriad of towns we had to chose from. Running around here has actually been a treat. The roads are pretty (although a bit busier with cars than I would like), the houses are all cute and interesting to look at with great gardens, and there are lots and lots of trees to keep things shady. There are also lots of bike paths and trails so I am having fun exploring them. 

The town has a Starbucks but no homegrown coffee shop or a smoothie place that I can find. We did try out the local Friendly's to great disappointment (we passed on the ice cream, maybe that was our mistake). We do have a Whole Foods which promises to be a big drain on the bank account I'm sure. There are also yoga studios and art studios and other interesting places but they are all hidden in old homes so it is not obvious at first where they are. There is a great big nursery where Kai and I hung out yesterday. My gardening ambitions waned a little as I realized how little I actually know about gardening. The lady at the nursery told me we were "zone 5" to help me decide what plants to buy. I smiled knowingly having absolutely NO clue what she was talking about. I'm hoping Mr. Google can help me out on that one. So, I came away with a simple hanging potted plant. Hopefully I can't screw that up. This having a house and garden is going to be more challenging than watering my potted plants in Hawaii. 

The next town over (about a 10 minute drive) is called Concord and is absolutely lovely. We have only walked around there once but it is very historical and we saw lots of cyclists so it must be good! I'm sure we'll be heading there quite often. There is a bike path that links Bedford to Concord so once we get our bike trailer we'll be heading there on a Fennell Adventure!

Quick Kai update: He decided that today should be the day that he tries to walk down the stairs with a little less help from mom. Typically I hold his hands and assume a back breaking position while he sort of "free falls" and tippy toes his way down the stairs. But today, he decided he would hold only one of my hands and use the railing with his other hand and take very careful steps. This took a very, very long time. And we did it 3 times. He took great pains to make sure he had just the right hand hold before he would take a step. And then if he found that step quite pleasing, he repeated it. He was pretty thrilled when he made it to the bottom (of course he received thunderous applause). And to be honest, I am pretty thrilled too, to see that he does realize that he needs to be careful when walking down the stairs. I wasn't sure he was going to get that anytime soon.

I really will try and upload some photos soon....just need a little bit more free time.....that is the mantra of this week and quite possibly, this summer!

2 comments:

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

Yea! It sounds like things are looking up. I can't wait for more stories of your adventures. I can't believe the Kai Moo is actually walking down the stairs...my how fast they grow :-) Talk to you soon! Kel

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

Sounds like a good place for us to move and open a blue fox, a blue hen, or dare I say even a blue moon. I think your top priority should lie in finding good eats so that you can give Kelley and I the low down. Tell little Kai Moo congrats for making his first set of stairs. Before you know it he will be doing negative split workouts on the them. -Ryan