Friday, July 23, 2010

Trip preps (or Tripreps)

A small tongue-twister of a title, non? (Its still Tour De France time, so pardon le Francois). We're in the midsts of getting ready for almost a month-long trip away from home. We'll be driving up to Grandma B's & Poppa Mike's place on Wolfe Island, ON where I'll have to leave my little charges in capable hands to attend a Navy course in Athens, GA.

Back in the day (before I was married w/ kidlets), I kinda liked traveling. You get to people-watch in the airport: wondering what sort of washing-machine conference that group of over-weight, middle-aged, chuckling group of men were attending, why all the business-suit types weren't just teleconferencing, and why women wear sunglasses INSIDE an airport (perhaps they're some of Louise's much-yearned-for celebs???) You get to pay $5 for a Starbucks latte and think "Gee, that's ONLY 25% more than a regular Starbucks! Not bad!" You get micro-packets of either mustard-tinged pretzel-things or the dehydrated crunchy-veggie trail mix bag. You also get to practice how fast you can remove your shoes, belt, coins, computer, and jacket while not missing a step and continuing to move through security. Its almost majestic when you see someone do it right (minus 5 points for everytime you stop to remove something!)

OK, so traveling through airports ain't so great but its still neat to see other parts of the US. But these days, it'll be rough to spend 3 weeks w/o taking things out of Teia's mouth, tickling Kai, smooching Louise (or is it taking things out of Louise's mouth, tickling Teia and smooching Kai? too tired to remember anymore). Hopefully my classmates will understand if I offer them a sippee of milk and a read of "The Kissing Hand" or "Bunny My Honey" (both of which I've memorized, no book necessary) after our respective microwave dinners in the illustrious Basic Officer Quarters at the Navy Supply School.

Louise & Co. will be spending my time away with Barb & Mike at their waterfront home in Wolfe Island, part of the Thousand Island chain on the St. Lawrence Seaway. Whether Thousand Island dressing is named after this area, we'll soon find out, but we've heard good things about it and we're excited to see them & their new house. They also have a motor boat, so we'll see if Kai still has his nautical bent and sea legs (we bought a small lifejacket with high hopes). All 5 will also be entertaining quite a few guests over the 3 weeks - Mike & Aynsley are making a trip over, Karen, Mac & Allie are driving over from Peterborough, and Granddad Dave will also be coming down from Montreal. I'm sure Teia will be THRILLED to be held by so many people :-)

Time to head to bed. Louise has a big bike ride planned while I'll be testing out our new bike rack by driving to the mall w/ the kids hanging off of it (its supposedly very safe). Speaking of bike racks, my scabs are finally healing after putting on a trailer hitch last weekend. It seemed like a reasonable do-it-yourself job, but man, what a pain. I had to resort to a ghetto car lift (ie, scrap wood) to lift the minivan up a few inches so I could crawl underneath and screw in the bolts. It was either that or break my arm in 3 places so I would have all the joints necessary to contort my arm up into the undercarriage. Obviously, Toyota focused their attentions on the INTERIOR for creating space, not the nooks & crannies that their trailer hitches squeeze into.

No comments: