Thursday, July 15, 2010

Feeling Flat, Flat, Flat!

I could have titled this post, feeling hot, hot, hot! and that would have captured things around here lately too. This summer couldn't possibly be any hotter. If we had A/C and a pool I'd be happy as a clam but we have neither and we've been suffering. Today it went down to 87 F and that felt like quite a relief. Tomorrow things are supposed to scorch back up again and stay that way for awhile. We got innovative in our attempts to stay cool and purchased some plastic spray bottles from the local hardware store. Kai loves "spritzing" everyone and it actually feels really good. It is too bad he is small and usually spritzes at the right level to make us look like we've peed our pants.

The heat is taking a toll on my fitness too :-( and tonight I found myself in a true motivational crisis. Seems since the half marathon I've had trouble getting up to run at 5 am. I guess I'm missing the external motivator of a race to train for and my body is really starting to crave sleep. After almost a year of not sleeping through the night some place deep inside my brain is starting to take over and choose sleep over all other things whenever the opportunity arises. I have made it out for a few 6 am runs but that is just not early enough to beat this crazy heat. I've tried cool, damp, dark forested trails only to be ousted by hordes of aggro horse/deer flies (I really don't know the difference except that I hate them both). They mistake my pony tail for that of a deer/horse and try to hitch a ride. A wasp hitched a ride back there the other day, only to sting me when I touched my hair. I actually considered it a stroke of good luck because my pony tail served as a trojan horse for the wasp to enter our house and could easily have stung a little Fennell.

Anyway, b/c of limited success with morning runs, I tried an evening run the other night and it was marginally better. So tonight's plan was for another evening run after the little monkeys were tucked in their beds (or at least barricaded in their rooms while they partied on). So at the 8 pm hour as I looked at my physio tape and ankle brace I felt my motivation swirling like water down the drain. I didn't work out yesterday. I won't be able to work out tomorrow. So if I don't go today that will be 3 work-out-less days in row. I didn't go anyway. That is bad. I can't remember the last time I went 3 days sans work out without a good reason. This is a message to me that I am F-L-A-T. And so with that in mind I will go and practice being F-L-A-T on my back, in my bed. For as long as the little princess will allow.

No comments: