Wednesday, October 14, 2009

STILL Waiting...

I am now officially overdue. Today I am 40 weeks +2 (that is the official lingo for overdue pregnancies so I'm learning!) I'm trying to be patient and let nature and baby take their time but I know I've only got the help of my mom for a limited amount of time and I've noticed that the medical professionals have started wigging out a little bit. Seems they don't like overdue babies around here. I always thought it was more concerning to have a premature infant but I guess overdue babies also carry some concerns. Although from what I've been reading, a baby isn't really overdue until 42 weeks. Seems no one really knows how long pregnancy really is - 38 to 42 weeks is what I've read. Seems also that no one really knows what cascade of biological processes start labor either. That is pretty amazing to me when you think that we've decoded much of the human genome, but how does labor start? No one knows...guess that question doesn't garner much research money! So tomorrow I head back to the hospital for yet another non-stress test and another biophysical profile (which will make 10 ultrasounds for Sibs...10!!!!!!)

Anyway, my OB and midwife are talking induction for next Tuesday if Sibs doesn't show up. Having experienced the pleasures of pitocin once before I REALLY don't want to go down that path. So we're crossing our fingers, massaging trigger points, doing yoga squats, walking, taking evening primrose and red raspberry leaf tea.... whatever I can come up with that might help to get this show on the road! In the meantime, I'm trying to practice patience, enjoy my last little bit of time being just Kai's mommy, and enjoy my sleep! One advantage of having morning sickness for an entire pregnancy is that unisom makes 3rd trimester sleeping possible!

Below is a photo we took on Sibs' due date ~ October 12th, Canadian Thanksgiving. As you can see, Sibs is not a small baby anymore! I actually believe my belly has grown even bigger since this photo was taken!


1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh Louise! I'm so sorry you're having to wait for Sibs to arrive. Isn't it ironic. I think stress helps induce labor...stress yourself out :-) Love the pic! It's crazy that you're all bundled up and we're sweating like crazy here. I think I'd prefer being bundled up right about now! Thanks for the update. I've been wondering if anything new has happened. Sending "real" contraction energy your way!