So far my pregnancy has been healthy and without complications. It hasn't been bliss...never ending "morning"sickness and pelvic and back pain have now been joined by the latest pregnancy "challenge" - Ms. Irritable Uterus. Actually this is an official term and there is even an official website for "sufferers of UI." This situation is also known as "rock hard uterus syndrome." I've been feeling this way for weeks now and kept thinking to myself that I was feeling some pretty hard core braxton hicks contractions. But last week when I had a non-stress test the nurse told me that the monitoring machine picked up my "irritable uterus" so now I know what it is. Apparently some docs take it lightly and others worry about preterm labor since women with this condition do have early babies at a higher rate than those who don't. So yesterday after worrying about whether I should even be getting out of my chair, I decided to go in and get checked. Good news, all of this uterine contracting has not done much to dilate and efface so it doesn't look like labor is imminent.
The UI website suggests "self-imposed bed rest" given doctor's inconsistent approach to the issue. I take one look at my running, leaping, twirling 2 year old and say "ya, right." But the NP I saw yesterday suggested a modified approach to bed rest - basically lying down with my feet up whenever possible. So, as you can see, I'm taking her advice right now. But seeing as Kai's mother-imposed bed-rest time is almost up, I need to be getting up and getting moving. Now to find someone to clean our house...
1 comment:
Our fingers and toes are crossed for you too! Been thinking about you a ton lately and glad to get the update. As I mentioned on FB, that's the same thing I had...and I'm sure why Dr. Schutte put me on modified bedrest too. It's so miserable having what I called a perma-contration...I can't imagine having to chase a 2 year old around too! If it makes you feel any better (not that we're the same person :-) but Sara was 4 days late even after all those contractions. So here's hoping Sibs follows that route. Keep us posted!
Post a Comment