Sunday, September 13, 2009

Boy or Girl????


That's the million dollar question! I think I probably get asked "what" I'm having almost as much as I get asked my due date, which is pretty much every time I step foot out of the house now that I'm huge! The general impression is that us no peeking at the Christmas present types are a rare breed, but I'm not sure. I think we're out there. We recently took a prenatal refresher course with two other couples and neither of them knew "what" they were having either. I also have several friends who waited for the big day to buy pink or blue.

And folks like to guess (or proclaim). One day at the post office the lady working asked me "what are you going to name your little girl?" I told her I didn't know what I was having and she said "oh, you're having a girl!" Then another day at the splash park a woman I didn't know walked up to me and told me I'm definitely having a boy. I don't put alot of weight into these statements b/c most people told me I was going to have a girl when Kai came into our lives. Everyone that is, except my hula teacher Wanda, who told me "your son will be named Kai" (she did know we were considering the name).

I've learned not to put much stake in the old wives tales either. I threw up, gained lots of weight, had nice thick hair, and carried low last time. This time I threw up more, gained weight, have thick hair, am carrying low and am breaking out....does that mean the same gender or different....a few more weeks will tell.

Of course we've consulted the Chinese birth charts. They don't all give the same gender but what is kind of eerie is they all show the same thing for Kai and Sibs. So if they said that Kai is a boy, they also say Sibs will be a boy, or vice versa for girl. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm betting on a boy this time. I'm not sure why, maybe just b/c we already have one. Or maybe b/c my "mother's intuition" was pretty off last time. Greg refuses to guess one way or the other. Kai has his own opinions on the matter. He stated yesterday that baby will be a boy. But he has also told us baby's name will be Teia which is one of the names we're considering for a girl, so maybe he's not so sure either. But we'll be excited to welcome this new little person either way. We've got two little outfits packed for the hospital. Kai came home in yellow but we've figured this baby could wear a little pink or a little blue.
Here's a side view belly shot taken a few weeks ago at the Cape. What do ya think?

2 comments:

Sara said...

Ah, the million dollar question? I keep thinking it's going to be a girl, but that's probably because we have a girl. Either way will be fun! I LOVE the belly pic while holding Kai, too cute! I'm so excited to find out so I can send you some stuff :-) If Greg can even think straight, we'd love a text when the big day arrives :-)

sunnywave said...

omg, i LOVE the belly!!! so exciting! and yes, i get the proclomations as well--everyone seems to think we're having a boy, except for the ultrasound tech, ha ha ha! we are thrilled no matter what! thank goodness, the nausea has subsided and i'm just about normal, if you count carrying this mini cannonball of a belly around, ha ha ha! the squirrel has often referenced her little brother, so she seems to think we'll be having a baby boy, even though all signs point to another girl, ha ha ha! love you guys!