Despite these challenges I have discovered that I love to watch my son eat. Toddlers really have it right. While they may not eat everything, when something is acceptable to their palate, they go at it with gusto! When Kai likes what he is eating, he savours every mouthful. He takes his time to chew. When I try to rush him, he patiently continues to chew what is in his mouth, looking at me as if to say, "hold your horses mom, I'm not finished yet." He also has incredible focus. He can down a container of yogourt without even looking up. Sometimes he'll use two spoons, sometimes he tries the other end of the spoon, sometimes he even thinks that a container of yogourt might go down better if he drops a little left over chicken in it, either way, it is the center of his world while he is eating it. Watching him eat raisins is my favorite. He takes each one individually and chews and chews and chews. It makes me think about how I eat raisins, the small, inconsequential foods that they are. Because of their itsy bitsy-ness, I often grab a handful as I rush by the pantry and then don't even remember if I ate them or not. If I was more like Kai, I'd slow down long enough to enjoy each little raisin.
So while he is still kinda fussy (he'll only eat blueberries if they are served in a bowl; if I dare to drop them loosely on his high chair tray they become splatter for little fingers!), Kai teaches us everyday that Toddlers really know alot more than we adults give them credit for.
1 comment:
I loved this blog!!! It was fun imagining the little kaister squishing the blueberries with his fingers and licking off the cream cheese from the broccoli (he's very smart I might add...he knows that broccoli isn't very tasty!!) Too cute!!
Post a Comment