Tonight we enjoyed Grandma Carolyn's babysitting capabilities and headed out to take in a Boston Bruins game. It was Greg's first NHL game experience and my first in several years. We got our money's worth: Boston won (5-1), and there were lots of fights. It was the first time I've ever seen elbow pads dropped!!! When the game was a little slow we were entertained by our fellow Bruins fans. The couple behind us really thought the referee was gaahhhbage and the poor Dallas Stars goalie was relentlessly jeered.
Back to the fighting. Like I said, its been awhile since I've been to a game and I've heard lots of talk about getting the fighting out of hockey. Somehow I got the impression that the Boston fans don't think that is a good idea. Players who backed down from a fight were booed and during the aforementioned elbow pad dropping incident I think every seat was vacated by the bum that had been sitting on it. There were more cheers and energy for the brawls than for the goals (and some of them were really pretty!) - that reminds me, I haven't mentioned the "ice girls" yet. When did cheerleaders become part of the Saturday Night Hockey experience??? These girls must know of some secret beaches in Massachusetts that are still getting 90 degree weather b/c they had pretty nice tans for November!
After what I experienced tonight, I don't think we'll ever get the fighting out of hockey. Witnessing the gladiator mentality at the game was actually kind of unsettling given the current state of affairs in the world. But then again....maybe I just think too much. Never been accused of that before!
No comments:
Post a Comment