Monday, November 17, 2008

The Last Ride?????


Every time I head out the door on my road bike I wonder if it will be the last time before the real winter hits us. I've had a few rides where my feet turned to blocks of ice and I thought for sure I was done (I have a +5 degree celsius rule for road riding and -15 C for running). Then it gets mild again and I get to ride another weekend. This weekend was coldish (low 40s - we're talking Fahrenheit now; I'm too tired to convert), and the wind was pretty strong (over 20 mph), so my Sunday ride was cold and blustery. For some strange reason I enjoyed every moment of it. I felt strong for a change. Having a toddler in daycare, even if only one day per week, it turns out is exposing me to all kinds of bugs and I seem to be in a permanent state of "sorta under the weather" lately. So feeling strong and energetic in the face of a 20 mph headwind was actually a pleasant experience. I checked out some new roads and only got mildly lost and disoriented. It whet my appetite for next spring's rides when the weather is pleasant enough to ride for more than 2 hours at a time and I can explore further afield. I never actually expected to still be road riding in mid November so I'm counting all of these rides as little late fall gifts. So stay tuned to see if this really is the last ride of the year..... Let's hope not b/c then we'll all be subjected to my ramblings about how annoying spinning classes can be!

 

No comments: