Friday, November 14, 2008

Parenting a Toddler

This is not a post lamenting temper tantrums and how long it takes to get out of the door in the morning. Although those things certainly are part of parenting a toddler! Its about one of those wonderful moments where time stands still and you just enjoy it. I'm not so good at that (hmmmm.... go figure - maybe its the 23 years of school and sports endurance events that kinda make a person focus on the finish line.....). Anyway, when you're not so good at, its always a memorable moment when you find yourself savoring the NOW. 

Back to my story. Before I had a child I used to see moms out strolling with their little ones and think to myself how relaxing it looked: no work responsibilities, nowhere in particular to be, out enjoying the day with a cute little one sleeping in the stroller. Then that person was me. And I realized what an illusion it was. What was really going through my mind during those idyllic stroller walks? Sleep baby, sleep.....oh damn, a siren! Shut up! You're going to wake him up!!!! How many minutes has he been asleep now? Let's see... 23. Okay, 7 more and if he doesn't wake up he should be able to go deeper and maybe sleep an hour. Now....when am I going to get time to return those phone calls?......ya da, ya da, ya da. You get da picture? Not too much serenity going on there.  

So parenting a toddler isn't idyllic either but sometimes I do find that the reality does approach the fantasy in my head. Today Kai and I were out for a wet walk. It was a misty rain and not too cold. We were playing chase and he was flashing me his heart melting blue eyed grin. Then he stopped to investigate as he often does. Kai finds trees, sticks, leaves, rocks, all of nature, absolutely fascinating. Today he decided to look very closely at a tiny drop of rain hanging from the tiniest little twig. We both inspected it for awhile. I marvelled not only at the raindrop, but at my son's amazing curiosity and attention to detail. I thought about how I was showing him the world so he could take in what interested him and about how he was showing me the world too. When was the last time you took 5 minutes to stare at a tiny raindrop?  

1 comment:

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

wow! Great post louise! That made my day :) I was laughing at the sleeping part...I know the feeling. Those little moments of enjoyment though make this whole parenting worth it! Kai is such a cutie.