I had a hint that a certain look from a certain decade was threatening to make a comeback but I didn't really believe it until I saw it in every store we visited. Now imagine if you will, the music from psycho playing and me looking like that famous painting "the Scream" as every time I turned around I saw.....BIG buttons, ballerina flats with BOWS, leggings, double breasted blazers, shiny belts slipped tightly around the waist, skinny ankle jeans, baggy jeans, and those puffy sleeves....what do you call them??? You know - the ones that make you look like a bird about to take flight every time you lift your arms, or maybe just like you have waaaaay too much skin where your triceps are meant to be. I've even seen evidence of the return of the Risky Business Ray Ban and banana clips!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!
Jill and I discussed what it means when you see a fashion trend come round again. I guess it is just one more step on the path to maturity (notice I did NOT say 'middle age', although perhaps that is what we meant). I thought back to the 80's which started as I was finishing elementary school and ended as I was starting university - so basically they encompassed my high school years. So we are (Jill and I), the quintessential 80's kids. Our photos of those years involve alot of really BAD outfits and now some fashion "gurus" have decided that all of these bad clothes should be worn again. I've heard some use the word "vintage" in describing this look. No, please don't go there.....vintage is reserved for something that is truly old, and for something that is classy and unique. This does not describe big, tacky buttons and leggings!!!!
So what are we all going to do about the hideous fashion of the fall of 2008? My hair dresser and I (she is also an 80's kid) discussed this last night and decided we'd keep a low profile and hope the insanity passes quickly. There is hope afterall......there has not yet been a shoulder pad sighting!
One more rambling thought on this topic.....how can one possibly throw an 80's party this year? Everyone will just come wearing their own clothes and that wouldn't be any fun!!!!! :-(
No comments:
Post a Comment