Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kai's First Word (maybe) & other news

Apologize for the delays in keeping everyone updated on things here in MA.  The big news on the streets is that Kai is/may/probably speaking his first word.  What word?  Any guesses??

Door.

Actually, it sounds like a Bostonian-accented "door", like 'doo-ar'.  He said it first in the hospital visiting me (dad), as there are lots of doors in and outside each room.  Louise & I sorta looked at each other in shock, like "THIS is his first word?  Not Daddy or Mommy or Buns???"  (Buns is his little saliva-filled sock-rabbit-buddy).  He does say "dadadada" and "mamamama" quite a bit, but hasn't quite connected it with either one of us (so far as we can tell).  But the 'door' was said while opening a door, so we think this one is for real.  

I know Louise is excited for Kai to start talking, to see what our little sage fellow has to say, but me personally?  I think I'm going to be freaked out!   I have this image from horror movies when the little doll turns its head around, opens its eyes, and starts talking.  Kai's not much bigger than Chuckie, you know!  I just hope his disposition remains angelic and we don't start hearing creepy music whenever he comes into the room.  Must be the proximity to Halloween that's giving me these willies....

So anyway, why was dad in the hospital?  Unfortunately, I had another bout of pancreatitis this weekend.  I thought I could take it easy but the pain was a bit too much and I wasn't able to eat much on Sunday so Louise took me in Sunday night.   One of our friends came over to watch Kai (he was sleeping, but we thought twice about just taking the monitor with us for the 20 min drive to the hospital and 2 hour stay there!).  
      The doc's aren't sure what caused this bout (same as they haven't been sure about any of the last few bouts), so no epiphanies there.  After a few days of IV fluids, no food, and monitoring some enzyme levels, I was able to head back to a happy family again.  It was good to be home - even the simplest pleasures are 10-fold better after missing them for just a few days (like watching Kai rip around the living room).  
  On the plus-side, I was able to sleep - a lot.  And I got a healthy dose of TV to last me for a couple more years (even though we have cable, now that the Olympics and Tour de France are over, we've reverted to our non-TV-watching ways).   I also realized that the hungrier you are (remember, I couldn't have any food for a couple days to let my pancreas calm down), the more food commercials there are on TV.  Once I had my first meal, however, all I saw were health  products, beauty aides, and auto commercials!

Time to relax a little more, do some HW, and get ready for tomorrow.  I'm going to take the bus into school for a couple days until I gain some more strength back.  Not the most fun way of commuting, but still relatively eco-friendly!  


1 comment:

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

Yeah for Kai! Maybe he'll say Auntie Kelley or Uncle Ryan or maybe even Sara next :-) Poor Greg! Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery...not fun! I've been keeping up with your blog on my Iphone while I'm BFing but haven't been able to post. I love your beautiful fall pics...makes me jealous. L, hopefully we can catch up sometime soon! Miss you guys!!