Monday, August 4, 2008

Missing Hawaii

I haven't felt inspired to write lately. Maybe it was too much vacation time in Canada eh? I started a vent about the airline industry but never did get around to finishing it. Maybe some other time..... Lately, I find I've been missing Hawaii so I thought I'd write a little about that. 

It might be b/c we've been here a few months now and that "new" feeling is wearing off. Or maybe it is b/c two of my good friends in Hawaii are having their first babies w/n the next few weeks and I'm missing out on all the excitement. Or maybe it is the hot sticky weather and feeling landlocked without the big blue ocean just 2 miles away. We have a calendar on our fridge that has photos of Hawaii and every time I look at a photo of Kailua Beach or Lanikai Beach I get a little pang in my heart. Although there were many things about Hawaii that got under my skin at times, it is a very special place. It is hard to replace the feeling of that silky Lanikai sand between your toes. Come to think of it, I think I have some in a bag...maybe I should go wiggle my toes around in it for awhile! 

But this morning there was a very subtle change in the air here in Massachusetts. I think it is the very first hint of the cooler weather to come. I am so excited for fall. I can't wait to take Kai to a pumpkin patch, rake leaves, enjoy our fireplace, and dress in cozy clothes. Even walking on the beach in chilly weather sounds like fun. We still haven't made it down to the Atlantic coast. We plan to visit a beach that is about 45 minutes from here next weekend. It is in the Cape Ann direction instead of Cape Cod (trying to avoid the infamous summer Cape Cod congestion).  Maybe that will be the beach fix that I need! 

No comments: