Saturday, January 24, 2009

I wish all our friends/family had blogs

When it comes to popularity in the blogosphere, Fennell Adventures is way down the list. We're non-google-able; we created our blog so that we could keep in better touch with family and friends. And, if no one chooses to partake of our ramblings, we have a nice family journal for Kai to read when he is older and just can't get enough of those "early days" stories that we'll tell at the dinner table (poor Kai!). I only wish we'd started it sooner. 

But back to our limited popularity, if popularity can be judged by comments made. It seems our readership is a little shy; they (you) are the type of crowd who prefer not to put comments on the internet in such a public forum. We have a few friends who drop us regular notes (Thanks Kelley and Jackie!) and we get the occasional comment from my mom (Thanks Mom!) but mostly our comments come via email or phone conversations, "I read your blog; I liked the story about...." or "I have YOU to blame for this cold weather!" It is always fun and surprising to find out who actually takes time to check in with us from time to time. So to our behind the scenes readers, Thanks! 

Now I have a request to make. I'd like YOU to create a blog. I have discovered that I love reading blogs. Problem is, only a few of my friends actually blog. Like I said, our crowd are a little on the shy side when it comes to internet exhibitionism.  I love checking in with Kelley and Ry and seeing the latest pics of little Sara growing and finding out what is going on in our old hood. It makes it easy to feel still a part of their life, even if we don't have time to email or call everyday. I often wonder what other friends and family are up to and really miss that daily connection that comes from living in the same city. Its kinda nice to know what time your friend's yoga class is and when a little one has their next pediatrician appointment. But when you're trying to keep in touch via email with many friends, you lose those kind of important details.

I guess I could just read random blogs to satisfy my curiosity but its just not the same. I am staying away from that vortex. Its not that other people's lives aren't interesting, its just that I am already trying to track alot of lives and I'd much rather put my energies into that. I'm happy to read a stranger's blog if its incredible prose or really funny. After all, aren't most bloggers wannabe literary types anyway? But most of the blogs out there are like this, folks dissing on what's bugging them that day or updating for their friends and family. So... so far I haven't succumbed to spending my free time reading strangers' blogs. I plan to try really hard to keep it that way.

So, whad' yall think? Blackie, over there in Oz....I'd love to know what's going on in the Blackie Boonies (I know you're keeping up with WeasieWorld). Kiwi Dave, if you're still reading, I just know something flash is going down in your world and I wanna read about it. Dave and Jule, wouldn't blogging be a great way to keep folks updated on the twins and the ski conditions in Rossland???? I could go on and on with tempting you all; after all it worked when I called out Old Man Winter so now I'm calling out my blog-less friends and family....come join us in the blogosphere! We promise to leave you lots of comments :-)

2 comments:

Sara said...

We LOVE your blog!!! I second that...I want more blogs to read too, just not a bunch of randoms. I feel like I'm living vicariously through you guys with your winter adventures.

The Murphy Family said...

I'm getting caught up on my blog reads tonight, and you guys do a great job! :))