Thursday, September 4, 2008

First day of daycare

For me being a perpetual student and then working in places with links to teaching, September has always been a time of new beginnings. This is kind of ironic seeing as September is the beginning of the end, really, at least for the year, for the hot weather and for the leaves on the trees. But today was definitely the beginning of something new as Kai spent 2 hours, sans mommy, at his new daycare. I think the day was much more difficult and significant for mommy than for Kai.

We picked this particular daycare b/c the family that we rent our house from has used it for their 4 children and their youngest, a boy just a few months older than Kai, goes there now. It is run by two friendly ladies and there are 6 kids there on Thursdays which is the day that Kai will be attending. The plan is that I will work on Thursdays but we decided to start him there early, just to make sure it works out before I'm busy with work. So today was a trial day - 2 hours only.

Kai of course, did great. Mommy - not so great. Kai didn't want to let go of my hand when we first got there and kept reaching his little arms up to be picked up. This of course was too much for a wimpy mommy to bear and the tears fell. The ladies were very kind and patient with me and assured me that all the mommies do this. I bet they don't but I appreciated them saying that to make me feel better. The ladies said he fussed a little after I left but settled in easily and survived his two hours. When I came to pick him up he was having fun in the backyard and hadn't even noticed that he was wearing someone else's shoes. Although they were very nice shoes, Kai and I decided that he probably wanted his own shoes back so we found them, had a drink of water, and headed on our way. I think Kai was quite happy to be back at his own house but hopefully he won't mind being dropped off at daycare again next week. This time it'll be for a full 6 hour day. Yikes!!!! I hope Mommy survives.

2 comments:

hatfields-in-hawaii said...

Glad to hear you both survived! I bet it was quite the shock to your system not having little Kaister with you :-( but at least it sounds like he had fun!! Hope you had a productive day!

Briggsy said...

Congrats to the both of you! Once he settles in, you will love having a day for yourself. Try to enjoy it.