Well, yesterday said ankle decided it was sick and tired of being ignored in favor of a cute little newborn baby and a very loud 2 year old. I was sitting on the floor chatting with Teia when all of a sudden I couldn't get up. My ankle felt like it was locked in a vice of pain. I could not move it or bear weight on it. Given that it had bothered me several times already, I sat and waited for the pain to subside. It did not. The pain radiated up my achilles tendon and all I could of think of was...did I tear my achilles? It was that bad. Then I panicked. Teia needed to be taken care of; Kai needed to be picked up at daycare in, like, 5 minutes. What was I to do? I called Greg at school with our secret code ring that means "YOU MUST PICK UP THIS PHONE NOW!" and he responded promptly. He scooted home and our kind daycare family brought Kai home. I think he thought it was really cool to ride in a pick up truck.
Then we went on a full Fennell family adventure to the ER. And what an adventure it was. Kai rec'd virtual accolades yesterday for his stellar behavior at daycare but he left it all there and turned into monster Kai at the ER. What do you mean I can't have another cereal bar? I want one NOW!!!!!!! Whose child is this????? Poor Greg was left to deal while I was confined to a wheelchair (hospital policy they said). The ol' doc was a bit overwhelmed I think to walk into our exam room to find me nursing Teia, Kai re-arranging the furniture and Greg looking exhausted. I was informed by him that he had no idea what was wrong with my ankle and that orthopedics was "impressed." The nurse informed me that I was "that case," you know, the bizarre one that they go home and tell their families about....we had this lady with this weird ankle pain tonight...oh, and her son was really loud. Yes, we were the bizarre case and the family with that child. Oh well, it happens. So, given that orthopedics was "impressed" with my injury, they agreed to see me the very next day.
So today I met with said orthopod, a very nice man. He looked closely at my x-rays that had been pronounced 'unremarkable' by the ER doc. He disagreed. He used words like "degenerative" and "arthritic." Yikes! Then he said he would NEVER run on an ankle like that...never. And most definitely not with any additional body weight. Do I have a little of that? Check. He then ordered me not to run, most especially while we are investigating my tricky little ankle. So I'll be getting an MRI on Thursday. My Canadian friends and family can get off the floor now, yes, Thursday. Crazy isn't it? An MRI for a sore ankle in two days! I also got free crutches out of the deal! (Well courtesy of USFHP - my insurance company). Kai is pleased. He tried to take one to bed last night but even he had to acquiesce that it was a little too big for his crib. Ladies, you'll enjoy this one...the doctor suggested I use only one crutch and carry the baby with my other arm. Yes, that'll work...I don't think he ever took care of a baby for long, especially not in a 3 story house.
Well the bizarro ankle felt fine by the morning. The swelling was down and it felt 80% back to normal. Each time I got up to feed Teia, I could tell it was resolving, as it has each time before only it took alot longer and hurt alot more this time. So the current best guess is that in addition to the degenerative and arthritic changes visualized on x-ray, there may be a "loose body" floating around in there that keeps catching and causing the pain and immobilization. The solution - arthroscopic surgery. I guess the MRI will tell. A 45 minute MRI I'm told. I guess the ankle is a complex little creature.
After weeks of bi-weekly trips to the doc to monitor my pregnancy, frequent trips in November to monitor Teia's weight gain, and our multiple H1N1 vaccinations, I am more than a little tired of the doctor's office. But I am reminding myself to be thankful that it is nothing serious. I guess I am just wearing out. I kinda always worried this would happen, that I'd be 80 years old with a powerful set of lungs and tick, ticking heart but with a rickety body that could hardly move. I guess I just didn't think I'd be dealing with it at 39....
1 comment:
omg, louise!!!! please post when you have the update--after the MRI etc. you poor thing! going to ER with the whole family, now THAT sounds like a blog all for itself, lol. love you and hope your ankle will be resolved soon. big award to hubby/father of the year for dealing with toddler-gone-wild in the ER room!! love you!!!
Post a Comment