Thursday, August 27, 2009

Provincelands bike trail

I can hardly believe we only have one full day left here at the Cape. I am a self-admitted anticipation junkie and I have been anticipating this trip since I booked it back in March. 7 whole days with just my boys and nothing on the agenda except beach. Greg has been worried that the trip wouldn't live up to my expectations. He was wrong. Even though our trip is being book-ended by hurricanes Bill and Danny, we've had great weather (knocking wood as I write this as Danny hasn't actually arrived yet). Even some of the horrible NE humidity has eased up and we've enjoyed the best of summer weather. We've mixed it up with day trip outings and hanging close to the cottage on our local beach.

Today we headed to the tip of the Cape, to P-town. We rode the Provincelands bike trail which was about 7 miles of twisty, turny paved trail through sand dunes and forest and out to beaches. It was one of the nicest paved-type bike trails I have ever ridden. Most bike trails of this type are rail trails which means that they are basically flat and straight and just a wee bit boring. And if the ups and downs and swoops and scenery of the Provincelands bike trail weren't interesting enough, avoiding the other cyclists definitely was. Our fellow bike path users ranged from training wheel tykes, teams of senior citizens on expensive bikes with rearview mirrors attached to their helmets, and folks on rental bikes who were struggling to keep the front wheel going in a straight line. And then there were the groups of buff guys in tank tops wafting cologne as they went by on their bikes (we were in Provincetown, afterall).

I guess we were a bit of a sight ourselves. We forgot our helmets at home so we definitely had the rebel vibe going on. This was probably accentuated by my 8 month pregnant belly. But I was pretty comfy on my beach cruiser although its steel weight and my extra heft made the short, steep hills tough, not to mention my flat pedals and flip flops! Kai rode along behind Greg in his golden chariot just chilling out, playing with his toys and watching the scenery fly by. After some lunch and sightseeing in P-town we headed back to the cottage for some r&r. One more full day of Cape'n and then we're back to Bedford :-(

Disclaimer: this post was written while watching a mountain bike movie so might not be entirely coherent :-~

No comments: