For Kai, it goes like this - once Louise exits a 5-foot radius around Kai AND Kai notices, shrieks of "Mama!!" and intense writhing (if he's in my arms) commences until Louise re-enters the 5-foot "Mama-Safe Zone". To be fair, similar things happen when I leave, but my radius is like 100-feet and only a few feeble "Dada?"s are heard, before giggling and cooing recommence (only slight exaggeration, I swear!).
This really comes to light in the evenings after dinner. We'll typically let our speedster rip out a few laps after dinner to let him burn off some steam and get his final intervals in before forced-rest (sleep). Lately, however, the following has been occurring:
- Kai does about a dozen laps after connecting the buckles in his booster seat.
- I say "Kai, one minute till all done running and time for bed!"
- Kai lets out a guttural-wail, looks at me in scorn, increases his speed two-fold, and cries out "Mama!"
- after about a minute or two, I say "Kai, all done running. Time to go upstairs!"
- Kai repeats his guttural wail (doesn't look at me at all), completes current lap, cries out "Mama!" again, and leaps into Louise's arms, seeking salvation.
- Louise looks at me and says "Awww, let him run around a little more. He's having so much fun!"
- above sequence repeats itself till Kai is finally taken up in tears and violent protests an hour after we planned to take him up -or- he collapses at the nearest toy with wheels and starts driving them around till we pick his near-limp body up.
1 comment:
Oh Greg: It sounds like so much fun! When Louise is the one taking him up to bed he will be running to you for solace instead!
I know you guys are enjoying every minute of being parents.
Barb
Post a Comment