Saturday, April 25, 2009

Kai's new ride and suddenly summer


Kai turns the big #2 on Monday but we couldn't wait to break out one of his two big ticket birthday items - a Kettler trike. Greg and I discovered that there is much to learn about tricycle purchasing and you can spend several digits on one of these babies! We opted to go mid-range and didn't get the pneumatic tires or the navigation system but we did splurge for the extra cushy seat, the seatbelt, free wheel pedal system and gear bucket (and of course the mandatory parent control bar!) 

It's going to take while for Kai to get the hang of pedaling seeing as the freewheel system allows him to coast along and enjoy the ride but he already has the need for speed!

Hopefully you weren't blinded by the reflection off my pasty white legs but we had to crack out the shorts (or in my case, the skort) today b/c it hit 30 degrees here in MA! Yes, 30 degrees in April! It is supposed to be hot for the next couple of days so Kai gets to have a summer birthday again. 

How soon we forget what 30 degrees feels like. I got up early this morning to get in my bike ride before the boys got up. It was only about 12 degrees out and I decided that I wanted to wear shorts, so I waited until Kai's nap time to head out. I figured it would feel soooo nice to ride in some real heat. Hmmmm....there was a reason in Hawaii that we were always on the road by 7 am and it wasn't just the traffic! What a sufferfest! 30 degrees in April feels worse to a cyclist than it does in July b/c at least in July the trees have grown in some nice leafy branches for shade. Lesson learned, I'll be keeping cool for the next few days until our April heat wave passes. But I'm not going to complain about my oven of a bike ride. Guess what it did in Calgary today? It snowed!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, I want to get one of those for Emma Anne! I'm a bit shocked that you're thinking 30 degrees is warm enough for shorts???? It's got to be close to 80 for me to bust out my pearly whites (legs in this case)!

I hope he has a wonderful bday!!