Now my mom was always able to whip up a unique and crafty costume but I lack a) a sewing machine, and b) any crafty skills whatsoever. Greg and I pow-wowed on this costume and we really weren't sure how we were going to pull it off. Somewhere along the way we came up with the idea of using a collapsible laundry hamper and the rest is history. We somehow managed to turn this:
Into this:
If you haven't seen the SeaWorld SkyTower you'll see the similarities below:
Kai proudly wore his costume all around SeaWorld, including on the SkyTower itself and on the Sky Ride over the Bay. He was also happy to tell anyone who asked, what he was. We have never seen him talk to so many strangers! Teia, on the other hand was a more reluctant Dolphin. Until we went to visit the Dolphins that is, then she sported her costume happily.
By Hallowe'en night itself, Teia had had enough Dolphin and she decided to be Tigger. Here she is making sure her germs are on all of the Hallowe'en kazoos we had in our treat bowl. In fact, if she had her way she would have cleaned out our treat bowl herself before we even left the house. This picture is blurry but I had to add it anyway as it shows our two rascals filling their pumpkins with our treats before we even headed out!
Teia provided a fair bit of entertainment on Hallowe'en night. First of all she was quite terrified of her own Daddy. I can't imagine why...
But once she got the hang of the whole deal, she sprinted b/tw houses giggling madly like a little Hallowe'en banshee. Daddy and Kai had to sprint to keep up (I am still gimp so got to take the pics).
Then she practically vibrated with excitement to eat her first ever "wally pop." Back at home we had a few trick or treaters stop by and the kids got to try their hand at being candy givers. It was interesting to watch. Kai was savvy and very carefully plucked only the plastic toys (spider rings, kazoos etc) out of our bowl for hand outs. Teia was a bit more generous and did dole out a few chocolate bars. Greg, on the other hand, was scoffing Kit Kats from the bowl and piling them in the kitchen. I will have to keep that man away from the kids' candy loot!
Tonight Greg and I were discussing the various ways we've heard of parents managing their kids' candy these days: taking it to a homeless shelter, throwing it out, having the kids pick out only a certain number and then giving the rest away (you can give to dentists for money!) Back in the day there were no candy controls, other than checking for those ominous apples with razor blades inside, you know the really shiny red ones. I remember keeping my stash in a pillow case in my bedroom! But those were crazy times, back then.
I had to add this photo b/c I married a very artistically talented man - seriously! Guess who?
Warm weather will do a number on a thomas-o-lantern. By Hallowe'en night our little pumpkin engine was sporting some pretty serious mold and leaking some pretty nasty I don't know what. One poor little kid walked by Thomas Pumpkin and said to his dad "THAT is a scary pumpkin!"
Kai has already chosen his costume for next year - a tram. At least we've got some time to figure that one out!
No comments:
Post a Comment