Friday, February 5, 2010

Desperate Times...

You know the saying: ...Call for Desperate Measures. That is how I've felt about working out these past few months. We're having a dismal winter in terms of useful snow accumulation. I think we've had 3 decent snowfalls with almost complete melts in between so there has been very little opportunity to ski. We've gotten out when we can but I think we're looking at year #2 where my GBF ski pass doesn't pay for itself...which is really silly seeing as I only need to go 6 times in order for it to do so.

I have been working pretty hard to get this baby weight off. I managed to gain almost 50 lbs with Teia which is a little better than how I did with Kai. I guess I'm just not inclined to be a skinny pregnant person. But I am determined to be a slimish un-pregnant person and soon. We have about 6 weeks left until I have to don a bikini on Lanikai beach! That is motivation for a person. I also believe it is important to get the baby weight off fast, before it becomes part of a woman's new self-image as a mother. A lot of what was important pre-baby becomes less so, so it is important to get that weight off in a hurry before a slightly larger mid-section and derriere become something one gets a little too used to. I'm in the home stretch now, about 10 lbs to go....

It seemed pretty easy to lose the weight last time with only one child and living in a warm climate surrounded by athlete friends. This time it is more challenging. The weather isn't as agreeable, I have two munchkins to account for and we haven't yet become connected with the athlete community of greater Bedford, although I'm sure they're out there. So I've been running when time, weather and the ankle permit, cycling indoors and even outdoors here and there, x-country skiing at any opportunity, and I've been doing exercise DVDs*. Yes, something I never thought I'd resort to. I don't even like aerobics classes and here I am doing exercise DVDs in our playroom. Once I discovered that I liked punishing myself for hours on end outside either running or biking, I haven't spent too much time in the gym or aerobics studio. (Why is it that endurance athletes like to use terminology like "punish" and "suffer"? - we must be somewhat masochistic at heart).

But I have learned that sometimes the only way to get a work out in is within the comfort and convenience of my own home. I've been riding rollers a little bit but that will make a person stir crazy if done too often, so I ordered some DVDs by a woman named Lindsay Brin with titles like Post Natal Bootcamp. Since getting said DVDs I have learned that Ms. Brin has never had a baby and that she is an NFL cheerleader, as well as an exercise instructor. But I've forgiven her for those things b/c her workouts are tough! They are a combination of pilates, plyometrics, strength training and kickboxing. I have to admit that I actually enjoy them. I have also discovered that when Teia is sleeping or with Greg, Kai will join in and I can get my work out in and play with my son at the same time. He does enforce mandatory rest periods and whenever I do a plank position he jumps at the opportunity to go under "mommy tunnel" or just to climb on me. He even has his own little weights...its pretty cute.

While I might have forgiven Ms. Brin for marketing a post-natal workout when she has never had a baby, I cannot forgive her for constantly referring to her butt as "buncakes." Or in some of the workout sequences, simply as "the cake." I prefer terms like glutes, or even bum or butt. Buncakes???? C'mon Lindsay! But I guess I'll have to put up with it b/c, like I said, these are desperate times...


*I have to point out that the opportunities for these work outs are entirely due to my wonderful and selfless husband who manages to appreciate an athletically inclined wife with limited domestic skills. Poor guy, the other day he came home and happily pronounced that he thought he smelled chicken, until he went into the kitchen only to discover that I was boiling 2 of Teia's soothers to sanitize them and had forgotten all about them so what he actually smelled was melting BPA-free plastic.....served for dinner - bink cordon bleu.

No comments: