Friday, September 5, 2014

First day of school, first day of school....

Am I the only one or does that phrase not bring to mind images of an animated clownfish jumping on  his animated clownfish father? (Do we even call it "animated" anymore? Maybe "computer-generated" is more accurate). No? Well, maybe you haven't seen Finding Nemo as many times as I have.

Our kids were not jumping out of bed all perky-like on that first day. I had to drag their tired selves up and at 'em. Its a funny thing how sleeping in just doesn't happen all summer long until its alarm clock time again. But they were excited and motivated and that did help the morning routine move along a little more quickly than usual once they were awake.

This year was a big milestone for Teia - Kindergarten. Seems like just yesterday Kai was our big kindergarten kid. I tried to get all pinteresty and make them little signs, except I didn't remember until we were walking out the door so they're not really pinterest-worthy at all.

But they were pretty excited, about school and about their signs.
I also thought it would be cute to interview them both and then do the same interview each year and record it. But I totally forgot until the way home from school when they were both tired out. So the best I got was: 
Me: T, what do you want to be when you grow up?
T: A farmer.
Me: K, what do you want to be when you grow up?
K: An aircraft flyer 
Me: T, what is your favorite food?
T: Burrito!
Me: K, what is your favorite food?
K: Ice cream
Any further questions were met with grunts so we'll try again next year......maybe.....

I did get photos of both kids in front of their classroom doors. Kai was uncommonly patient with my photo taking that morning although he did tell me "only one more" once we got to school.
So far they've both had a great week. T has the same wonderful kindergarten teacher that Kai had and even knows a few kids in the class already so its been a smooth transition for her. She got to be the chicken feeder on the her first day and was pretty stoked about that, a step in the right direction toward her future career aspirations. (Little does she know we've got chicken plans for our house in Victoria :-) :-) But she has already negotiated a bunny so we may have a little farm before we know it for our little farmer. Not sure we'll be able to help out our little pilot quite as easily. 

Okay, a few more pics just b/c I couldn't get enough of their happy, first day of school energy. I think they're gonna knock K and Gr. 2 outta the park!








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting and emotional time seeing your "babies" leave for school and going home to an empty house for the first time. Seems weird doesn't it?. And you will still feel just as emotional when they leave for university even though they will be young adults by then!!!
Mom