Friday, October 4, 2013

Airplane Tooth

We've commemorated lost teeth and new beds on this blog, so why not dental work? Today was a big day. Kai finally got his first cavity fixed. It took a long while because we were trying so hard to avoid any heavy duty medication to get him through it. So we were waiting and debating and waiting and debating. We got him through a 24 hr EEG procedure with nary a complaint. He used to be a role model for getting pokes (although not so much anymore). So the psychologist in me really felt that we could role play, prepare, use social stories etc, etc and get him a filling on laughing gas only. Finally, I had to admit it just wasn't gonna happen and we really didn't want him getting an infection.

So today he went under. Its called MAC for monitored anesthesia care. Apparently its a bit lighter than general anesthesia but definitely more than conscious sedation. It is serious enough that the entire dental office staff are there for only the "dental surgery" patient. All other appointments are blocked off. Kai was cool about it all. In his mind he was going to sleep and then he'd wake up with the hole in his tooth fixed.

It all went smoothly and he "fell asleep" in my arms after a quick poke from the anesthesiologist and then was taken back for the full IV and the dental work. No parents allowed. For once I was extremely grateful to sit one out in the waiting room. They even offered me a Starbucks card and insisted I go get something to eat b/c they knew it was a tough day. Harder on the parents they said.

"Fell asleep" is not exactly what I'd call it. No one could have prepared me for his body to go stiff and postured and for the light to literally go out in his eyes while they remained wide open, as his central nervous system shut down. That part was horrible and will take awhile to forget, if I even can.

But an hour later I got to meet my little trooper in the recovery room where his stiff and postured little body slowly softened up and came back to normal. He'd open his eyes and look startled for a minute and then dose off for awhile. He was clearly confused but not panicked. Then he started talking, well whispering (he told me later it was hard for his "voice to come"). I asked him how he was and he replied in a little slurry whisper "I'm good Mommy." Then he told me "I love British Airways" and I knew he was on his way back. He actually got pretty chatty, not that I could understand much of it as he whispered with his eyes still closed. He did tell me "They fixed the hole" and "I'm sleeping in room 210" (the room # he had remembered since his visit two months ago). That kid's memory is amazing. They told us he'd have double vision and he must have b/c he said it was like he was under water. He even drew a picture of his British Airways with wavy water on top afterwards.

30 minutes later he was ready for a wheelchair ride to the minivan. But not before he picked out a stuffed animal for Teia because he's sweet like that. Once we got home he insisted on walking, not being carried, into the house which was a pretty funny sight. 40 minutes of r&r at home and he figured he was back to normal. Somehow I don't think I'd be back at 'er quite that quick. Kids are amazing.

While he was under his dentist and I decided on a stainless steel crown b/c she figured he'd grind off any filling she put in and we'd be back to square one. (A lovely little habit he has inherited from me). So when he woke up I explained the smooth silver tooth in his mouth as his "airplane metal tooth." The dentist had suggested calling it a "robot tooth" but I knew Kai would like the airplane idea better. And he does. He'll happily show it to anyone who asks and I think he is pretty proud of himself overall. As he should be. He was an absolute rock star. But, hey, let's not go through that again.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's a hero that's for sure!