Summer is a busy time with lots going on. But sometimes it is nice to write a post about just how things are. Because they change so fast, important little things can be quickly forgotten if they're not recorded somehow.
I think 3 year olds are great. Really. I do. The unpredictable and all too frequent temper tantrums of the terrible twos are behind us. 3 year olds are still a little bit like babies, still a bit squishy and soft, but they have the budding independence of a real kid. I remember thinking Kai was the cutest thing when he was 3 and now I feel that way about Peach. She still throws hissy fits here and there and can be maddeningly stubborn at times. But most of the time, she is a wonderful little buddy.
Teia talks alot. But she hasn't quite figured out this pronunciation thing. I'm quite fine with that. It's pretty cute. Many words begin with "f" according to Teia. You eat cheese with fwackers and when you see a fider, you squish it. But strangely enough when Fs are called for, she doesn't always use them. Particularly when she is telling you about all of her savorite things.
It also turns out that Teia's current savorite things start with S: scootering, swimming and swinging.
Uncle Mike Fennell bought both of the kids scooters and Teia hasn't been too sure about hers for quite awhile. But now that she has decided she can do it, she is scootering at every chance she gets. Even inside the house. She is loving summer with all the extra time with her brother and plenty of time in the pool. She's been known to tell us "I'm hot. I think you should throw me in the pool."
She is extremely excited about the horse back riding lessons that she and Kai start this week. A few weeks ago we had a visit to the ranch where they'll be riding and she was in horse heaven.
Teia has started a cute little habit over the past few months. When she wakes up in the morning she comes to our room and crawls into bed. Occasionally she will fall back to sleep (see below). I really like those mornings. But usually she jumps on my head for awhile until I get up (well, not really but it often feels like that).
She has a trademarked "wiggle." She does it when she is mad and when she is happy and excited. It is pretty cute. Capturing it spontaneously on video wasn't likely to happen to I asked Teia to perform a demo.
We are also well and truly in the "Why?" stage with Teia now. We are asked Why for just about anything. So I have learned that I need to be prepared with explanations and justifications for just about anything I do or say or even think about in a day. We had an interesting conversation on Friday that went like this:
Teia: Mommy, when Miss Stephany (babysitter) was here today, I didn't miss you.
Me: That is okay sweetie, you don't have to miss me all the time.
Teia: Why?
Me: It's good to have fun with other people.
Teia: Why?........You get the picture.
But I do love seeing how her little 3 year old mind works.
Her curiosity about the world and in what I am doing is insatiable. I have learned that if I want any peace while getting ready in the morning, I need to have doubles of just about anything I'm using so she can play along. She has also started playing Mommy to Kai sometimes and I hear her "disciplining" him, "Kai, rules are rules." "If you do that I'll get mad." "Kai you're going to have to go to your room." Poor little buddy doesn't always know what to think when Mommy-sister is around. But most of the time she lavishes love on her brother. She told me the other day "Mommy I love my bwova Kai. He laughs when I play with him." And when she is upset the only thing that makes her feel better is a back rub from Kai. Sweetness at its best.
Life to a 3 year old is pretty much about having fun, learning new things and loving and being loved. Everything is an adventure and you still get to nap. Pretty awesome.
I'm sure 4 will be a great age too but for now, we really love our little 3 year old.
1 comment:
I haven't had a chance to catch up on your blog for a while but it was so awesome to read this. children are an absolute blessing even though they are hard work the rewards out-weigh the challenges by a large margin!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment