Monday, March 11, 2013

This one's for you...

After some very gentle and loving pressure from my dear mom and dear hubby, I actually planned (and carried out) a trip away by myself, sans kidlets. Scheduling was such that it worked out for me to meet one of my oldest and dearest friends at a conference in Banff. This particular friend is also one of our most loyal blog followers so I am dedicating this post to Shannon. I know she'll read it :-)

A little logistical finangling also meant that I was able to visit Mike and Aynsley at their vacation home in Montana, see my Dad who happened to be there, as well as a lovely and unexpected visit with friends Bill & Nancy. I managed a fly by in Calgary where I had a great but short visit with dear friends there too. Oh, and a touch and go in Fernie to see Colleen and Gary (that one was even too short to be called a fly by!) Not too bad for a 7 night trip and this might explain why I felt pretty tired when I got home!

It was all lined up and worked out like a jigsaw puzzle and it all seemed like a great idea until it was time to leave. I think of all the involved parties (that would be Kai, Teia, Greg, Mom and me), I was definitely the most frantic and slightly panicked about the whole thing. It probably didn't help that Kai hurt his foot 2 days before I was scheduled to leave and was still limping pretty badly on Departure Day.

I had to be patient and understanding with myself, after all I hadn't been away from my little blondies for more a few hours in 6 years. So I withstood the feeling that I really shouldn't get on that plane, b/c then for sure something bad was bound to happen, and I did it. I flew far, far away. Thanks to skype, text messaging and the old fashioned phone I was able to keep tabs (I mean, stay in touch) with everyone while I was away.

Turns out I was pretty good at being just little ol' me again and had a really great time. I did some of my favorite things: skiing, running, eating at funky cafes with interesting menus and yummy chai tea, shopping for pottery, breathing in the wilderness, and just hanging out and catching up.
My breakfast view at the Banff Center.
Mike and I at Whitefish. Ya, I know, Jesus is there too. 
And here I go!
Can't wait to take the family to Whitefish, particularly Kai. He will love the train stuff that is everywhere, even themed cafes!
There was a little something for Greg there too. Can't wait to see his face when he actually drinks one of these..... (If you don't know which one, you don't know Greg). Hint - nutella is its own food group in our house and low quantities necessitate late night emergency grocery store runs. 

Things got a little exciting when our 5 hr drive from Whitefish to Calgary turned into an 8 hr trip thanks to a blizzard and a flat tire, particularly when Mike's overstuffed Audi had no room for the tire once we had the spare on.
Yep - me, Aynsley, Macy and a tire all in the back of a small Audi. But it was all good. Aynsley is just happy we're moving again and onto Tim Horton's. I ordered the mandatory box of Timbits. And why mess around and fight over the chocolate ones when you're in a blizzard sitting beside a tire. 
Shannon and I had our own adventures in Banff. Turns out the snow wasn't finished yet and we happened to have rented just about the least snow worthy vehicle west of Saskatoon. The Ford Fiesta was all good unless we encountered snow + any incline of any sort,  even if not visible to the naked eye. That equation equalled slipping and sliding and Louise pushing. But we managed to get where we needed to go, spinning tires aside. And after all isn't that just part of the Canadian winter experience? Kinda like skiing, hockey and block heaters. 

We had a great time hanging out, eating out, skiing, talking and talking and talking. We talked so much we left the ski rental place without our skis (and that'll surprise no one who knows us). But at least we didn't drive all the way to the trailhead before we realized our mistake. Silly girls. 

I had a great time. So great in fact that I think Greg is a little worried I'll want to do it again soon. But it was so good to come home, particularly to sweet little faces with happy smiles. Watching Teia skip into the airport to pick me up and getting a card from Kai, made especially for me, was probably my trip highlight. I can't say it enough....Thanks Mom and Greg xo

No comments: