Monday, April 30, 2012

Dear Kai...

Dear Kai Kai,

Daddy and I (well, mostly me truth be told), keep this blog so our family and friends can keep up with us :-P. But we also do it so you and Tay will have a chance to read through stories of your childhood when you're bigger . So, seeing as you just turned FIVE, and five is a pretty big milestone, I thought I'd write this blog to you. Future you can read all about just turned five year old you one day.

It seems like just yesterday you were born in that hospital room in Hawaii that you keep asking about, the one with the avocado tree outside. Your sweet, gentle, peaceful nature was evident to everyone who met you, even as a tender newborn. Mr. Aloha :-)
And look at you now!!!

You still are that same sweet guy who shares his toys and uses "gentle hands" without even being told. You can stop your sister's tears on a dime by holding her hand or rubbing her back. No one else has that magic power! You make us proud everyday. And you're still Mr. Aloha. The 'aina is calling you because everyday you tell us "we need to go back to Hawaii." I'm not sure if you just want a tropical vacation or if you know something we don't know, only time will tell.

Turning five really weighed on your mind. You have given it alot of thought, lying awake in your bed into the wee hours the past few days. You were pretty relieved when you woke up on your birthday to see that 5 felt much like 4. The other day you asked me "Mommy, why am I growing up?" You're doing that alot lately, asking us stumper questions. You got your Daddy good the other night when you asked "How did I get inside Mommy?" I'm not sure he was ready for that one. You like thinking about when you were born. And why not, it is a cool concept. For your birthday, your teachers at school read your favorite book at circle time, "On The Day You Were Born." I think it made your day almost as much as the chocolate cupcakes.

You got your first Big Boy Bike for your birthday. It is red with silver writing, hand picked by you. You like silver and red alot lately. Silver because it matches your toe nails. I'm not sure when Red took over Blue's spot as your favorite color. Maybe it was my red toe nails? One of your friends bought you the Hungry Hippos game for your birthday.  You like it but you told us "the hippo makers messed up." No red hippo!

We celebrated your birthday with a small ice cream cake just for the four Fennells. You were very excited and tried to be as patient as you could until you announced that you were finished your dinner and were ready for the singing. Here you are peeking with anticipation as Daddy lit your #5 candle. 

And there is a happy 5 year old face if I ever saw one. 
You surprised us by not requesting your typical second serving of ice cream by maturely announcing "I've had enough." Your motivation to finish quickly and politely was waiting in the backyard. 

All the Daddy love you've been giving out lately must have paid off. Your Daddy carted this ginormous birthday treat into our yard all by himself. He's been complaining of nerve damage in his fingers and back pain ever since. But clearly it was worth it to see your smiles. You know, only a few years ago you were afraid of bouncy houses and this weekend, you couldn't get enough. You were most excited to share it with your friends at your party today. That's you in the #5 shirt. Yes, it is a jammie shirt but you didn't want to take it off today.


Buds, you were a bouncy house MACHINE. You out lasted everyone! But in your typical Budsy-way, you were fine when we took it down to pack it back up. No tantrums, no whining, just bon voyage to a very fun birthday bouncy house.

Your birthday was a gorgeous bluebird day. Today was more of an infamous San Diego "May Grey" day. But some of your friends were pretty hardy and enjoyed the pool anyway. Your Daddy, I have to say, was a real trooper and got in with the kids. I think the other parents were pretty appreciative, or perhaps relieved. You do have a great Daddy. You and Teia both donned your suits but didn't get past your knees today. I don't blame you! Teia wore her life jacket for pretty much the entire party though. Funny Girl! 

Finally it was the moment you'd been waiting for and you got to see your Music Lion birthday cake. 
I think you were pretty pleased :-)
This time you chose 5 individual candles instead of the number 5 candle. That's why I call you my "novelty guy." Variety is the spice of life and you've already figured that out. Well Kaister Moo, my funny, loving, energetic, thoughtful little man, we're all a little bit exhausted after a very busy weekend but it was a ton of fun. You've already started talking about turning six and put in your bouncy house request. But for now, let's work on not growing up so fast, okay?

Happy Birthday Boo, you are one loved little man. 
xo

1 comment:

sunnywave said...

awwwkkkkk!!!!! The big "5" already, how did that happen????? what a sweet post and lots of love and hugs to Kai and family. ;-) Kai, i think you're onto something, come home to Hawaii!!!!! xoxoxox