Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fluid Training

Nope, I'm not talking about a fluid trainer, although one of those would be nice...particularly if I'm going to do those indoor bike training sessions again next winter. I'm talking about my training "schedule" for the upcoming half marathon I'm planning to do. I have 26 days left and that means 26 more days to fit in some training according to my new "fluid training" mentality. It would probably drive most athletes insane to train this way. But for me, it is the only way to go these days so I'm doing it.

The basic premise of "fluid training" is that you decide which work outs are key, which ones would be nice, and which ones are just not going to happen. Next step: figure out potential times during the next 7 days where the "key" work outs might fit in. For my 1/2 marathon training this means 3 runs a week, one of which is a long run. Pretty simple. I also include a bike ride b/c let's face it, I need to ride my bike for my mental health (and it helps keep the legs moving on those non-running days). The "would be nice" work outs are done if, and only if, some other work out opportunity presents itself after the "key" work outs have been completed. Note: key = bare minimum.

Now here comes the fluid part, I lay out my running gear the night before and head to bed knowing that I might run in the morning. It all depends if the planets and stars align and Teia gets up to feed early enough that I can run and get home in time for Greg to get to school and for the kids and I to get fed and ready in time for whatever our morning schedule holds. If the universe is not working in my favor then Teia might get up too early and then running post-feed would be more like running in the middle of the night. Or she might get up too late. I could set my alarm and go before she wakes but that would require either a) pumping, or b) running with boobs that are rock solid and weigh about 2 lbs each. I think it would feel like running with small boulders on your chest. I say "think" b/c I haven't actually tried it. Pumping is a better option but Teia has this uncanny ability to wake up mid-pump and that makes for a very frustrating situation. Not to mention, if you haven't tried it, pumping isn't much fun. So, if it is a cosmically challenged morning, I do what might fit in and/or wait for the next morning to try again.

Its a little bit of an unorthodox way to train and I'm sure it doesn't bode for a Personal Best race performance but it works for now. But it sure doesn't feel great when I want to get up at 5:00 am, feed Teia and get ready to run by 5:30-6:00, and then she decides instead that 4:30 am would be a better time to wake up. But having that work out done by the time the munchkins are eating breakfast is a good feeling. This whole process might even turn me into a coffee drinker...Nah, I don't think anything could do that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a HERO for making such an affort to get ready for the Half Marathon. Good luck!
Mom